About

Donate to Diversity in Aquatics

News

Krystal Lara is one of very few Latinas in her class at Stuyvesant High School, and in the pool. She’s backstroking her way toward the Olympics.

From The New York Times:

Her Parents Thought Swimming Lessons Were a Good Idea

Krystal Lara is one of very few Latinas in her class at Stuyvesant High School, and in the pool. She’s backstroking her way toward the Olympics.…

Former Yale swimmer Siphiwe Baleka

Good video about former Yale swimmer Siphiwe Baleka

http://www.foxsports.com/video?vid=396080195760

American Red Cross will be rolling out a "new look" WSI program in the spring of 2009. Expected changes include:
*Increased emphasis on water safety & drowning prevention as the basis of swimming and water recreation.
*New placement & distribution of the skills throughout the Learn-To-Swim program to help reduce bottlenecks and optimize skill acquisition.
*Three new levels specifically designed for the developmental needs of preschool-age children so they achieve success at regular intervals.
*New content to help WSI's improve their teaching skills and better serve all participants including swimmers with special needs.

Do I hear "Adapted Aquatics" Instructors? Anyone remember taking that course? :)

Views: 83

Replies to This Discussion

Leslie,
Thanks so much for the update info, as I am about to recertify in all areas of water safety(Lifeguard Training, CPR/First Aid, and WSI). I am also going to inquire about the Adapted Aquatics Instructor's Course, if one exists. I am going to try to receive additional training to be certified in teaching infants how to swim. One of the problems we are encountering in our rural communities is that the children do not have enough viable activities to keep them busy. Our young boys are joining gangs and selling drugs, while our young girls are getting pregnant at even earlier ages(Babies rearing Babies). Although I have experience in that area from teaching my own children beginning at 6 months, I believe there is probally more training that's needed, while the demand will increase due to the number of children being born by children increases. Teaching your own is one thing, but when you are teaching parents how to teach their infants will be interesting. I viewed a website in this area where they specialize in certifying people who need this, but their tuition was $15,000. That is an expensive certification, but I believe they had the idea of their students doing this for a profit basis(or at least recouping the funds back they have invested with them). However, any other relevant training I can recieve to enhance whatever is needed to be efficient and effective as an instructor, I am willing to do. Darrick aka dswimmerman
http://www.responsetrack.net/aquazine0808_1/?14FSF08E0DS
This web site takes you to the American Red Cross Aqua'Zine which has quite a bit of information concerning the WSI Update along with new info for the Safety Training for Swim Coaches class.
Leslie,
Thanks so much for the info, and I will use it to the fullest. Darrick
American Red Cross certification is much cheaper and nationally known. I would recommend taking WSI from a chapter near you. Adapted Aquatics is no longer offered. ARC has included info about teaching handicapped in the WSI course.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Jayson Jackson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service