At a recent launch of a Black Cultural Archives fund raiser I met a fellow named Zagba Oyortey, who is the managing director of Arts Interlink here in London.
Zagba was directed to me because of my involvement with black maritime heritage and got to the point rather quickly. He said that a lot of white people were approaching the government of Ghana to dive on some of the many slave ship wrecks off their coast but the government wanted more black oriented groups to assist with this aspect of their history.
Not to be completely race conscious in this offer I am seeing that this might be a real opportunity that we usually do not get and can assist with a more diverse offering of other projects to more than the same groups and connections.
If you are interested in pursuing this avenue please give me a response to this letter.
I believe in one blood for all of us but in order to get that respect we sometimes have to push our obvious one blood forward a bit.
H.E. Ross

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings : Has anything developed on this matter ?

Ken Stewart

DWP Program Director

TAP Co/Founder

NABS/YES Committee Chair

Kenneth,
I am afraid that Zagba did not follow up with this at the time and has since gone back to Ghana. I have fallen out of touch with him, as we are working on our boat here in Morocco about to go on a cruise.

There is another project that we are involved with more directly that sees a visit to Ghana as an incentive and that is the restoration of an Egyptian Dhow replica in London by 'urban youth' ( I think that is the current pc term for what I used to be). Not one of the youth in this Know YourSelf! Programme know how to swim. What I am saying is that there are possibilities for a lot of ways to get to Ghana.

Ross

Greetings my name is Nesher....please keep me informed of any projects you may have or know of that pertain to the original posting. 

Thanks

Nesher,

Interesting name. My interest was not so much in Ghana during that conversation with Zagba but in assisting him make contacts with others who would potentially be interested but that all sort of flattened out.

We are presently in Africa but in the North (Morocco) about to point our sails more North to Spain (Cadiz) but have been held up by very bad and very slow mechanics and very bad and very wet and windy weather. I am basically tracing Dhow migrations and styles. I usually do Black maritime heritage projects and research.

I am sure the Ministry of Tourism in Ghana would assist any type of programme that brought their name into a positive path though. You should contact them directly and weigh what they say.

Good luck,

Ross

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Donate to Diversity in Aquatics

News

Krystal Lara is one of very few Latinas in her class at Stuyvesant High School, and in the pool. She’s backstroking her way toward the Olympics.

From The New York Times:

Her Parents Thought Swimming Lessons Were a Good Idea

Krystal Lara is one of very few Latinas in her class at Stuyvesant High School, and in the pool. She’s backstroking her way toward the Olympics.…

Former Yale swimmer Siphiwe Baleka

Good video about former Yale swimmer Siphiwe Baleka

http://www.foxsports.com/video?vid=396080195760

Newsweek Article

Read the Newsweek article featuring The Diversity in Aquatics Program and several of its members.

Read the Newsweek article featuring The Diversity in Aquatics Program and several of its members.

© 2017   Created by Jayson Jackson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service