About

Donate to Diversity in Aquatics

News

Krystal Lara is one of very few Latinas in her class at Stuyvesant High School, and in the pool. She’s backstroking her way toward the Olympics.

From The New York Times:

Her Parents Thought Swimming Lessons Were a Good Idea

Krystal Lara is one of very few Latinas in her class at Stuyvesant High School, and in the pool. She’s backstroking her way toward the Olympics.…

Former Yale swimmer Siphiwe Baleka

Good video about former Yale swimmer Siphiwe Baleka

http://www.foxsports.com/video?vid=396080195760

Hello All,

I'm trying to get to the root, yes, pun intended :), of many people's reluctance to get in the water and go for  floatation and swimming, and I had read somewhere that the problem of hair care and chlorine (and sun) damage may be significant components.

As a white aquatic director with straw for hair (but who cares, I love to swim) I need other perspectives here!

I just looked it up at dogpile.com and the best was a discussion at citydata.com as I attach below. 

Is there something about distilled or deionized (what is that, anyway?) water that can help, too?  I believe I read about that previously someplace.

Our Greater Lynn Y has a 1971 vintage 6-lane SCY pool with a fabulous women's only studio outside the locker room and a whirlpool and sauna and steam so I was thinking of having a beauty night in there with samples and so forth, so I would love any expertise!

So often the Chlorine Removal shampoos are a) expensive and b) very drying, to say nothing of hard to find.  I want inexpensive remedies that parents would be comfortable acquiring and using on their kids as part of the lifestyle change we all need for more fitness and water safety!

Views: 646

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem with chlorine and black hair is when someone has a chemical relaxer. The chemicals in the relaxer and chlorine clash, and could cause breakage if the chlorine is not removed. 

Unrelaxed hair also needs the chlorine removed, but it is not as urgent, as far as I know. The chlorine will build up in the natural hair and be gunky, etc., so you must rinse your hair thoroughly when you swim. 

I have tried chlorine remover shampoo, and I think it stripped my hair and made it more vulnerable to breakage when I had a relaxer. The best thing for me was to wash with my regular shampoo and then condition it. 

One way to protect black hair from chlorine etc is to wear braid extensions. That's a short-term solution, at least.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Jayson Jackson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service